Powered By Blogger

Sunday, September 25, 2016

David's surprise baptism

    We had a baptism service at church this week. There were 4 people who were getting baptized, 2 whom I've worked with in the youth program before. I always enjoy the baptism services because we usually take a video telling the testimony of the people being baptized and are able to hear why they want to profess their faith in Christ. Today was extra special for me.
      When the pastor called people up to the baptismal tank, 1 by 1, I noticed that things were going slightly out of order than normally. It turns out that the church didn't make the testimony videos this time around, I'm not 100% sure why. However, when they were done baptizing the 4, he invited anyone who had not been baptized before, but would like to, to come up and be baptized right then.
      The kids had gone to kids church and then they brought all of them in to watch the baptisms. There was a 10 year old boy sitting by us (who didn't go to the kids church portion) who asked his mom and volunteered right away.  Then, David (from across the room) surprised us by asking to be baptized. He walked right up there to the front of the church, took his sweatshirt and sneakers off and jumped right in.  David is a bit of a shy kid, but when asked what role Jesus plays in his life, and why he wanted to be baptized, he said "Well, when I was 3, I was attacked by a rabid skunk. I think it was Jesus who protected me and kept me healthy." He said he wanted to know Jesus/God more. It was a pretty cool morning.


 
 

God is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment