Powered By Blogger

Saturday, September 17, 2016

Currently 9/17

Watching: 
     This autumn, Tim will be playing flag football for the first time. Today was his first scrimmage. It was alright. They won and he had a good time. I don't know the rules well enough to really enjoy watching it. It will be fun to watch him get better at the sport. 


Reading: 
  World Without End (The Pillars of the Earth, #2)
      I just finished World Without End by Ken Follett. It is the second book of The Pillars of the Earth series.  I liked it a lot. It's over 1000 pages, but I stayed interested in the lives of all of the characters and of the town of Kingsbridge.
The President Is a Sick Man: Wherein the Supposedly Virtuous Grover Cleveland Survives a Secret Surgery at Sea and Vilifies the Courageous Newspaperman Who Dared Expose the Truth
      I am currently reading The President is a Sick Man by Matthew Algeo. The book is a few years old but I won a signed copy on Goodreads. I am generally not a political person but I love biographies. I had not heard of this event before (President Cleveland basically disappeared for 5 days and nobody said where he was) so I thought it might be interesting. I'm also enjoying some of the facts about how life was in the 1890s. Perhaps it is appealing to the same part of me that enjoys penpalling. I enjoy seeing snippets of every day life in different time periods and places. Come to think of it, that's probably what I enjoyed about the Follett book as well.

Listening:
      Did I mention that I love to read? Or that my "to read bookshelf" is overflowing into a nicely stacked pile on my bedroom floor?   Or that I had to come up with some rules in fear that someday you may discover my body reading a book surrounded by a stack of "to read" books? So, the other day I walked into the teacher's room at school, I saw that the bookswap shelf had been updated. Yes! No! As I was about to run by it so I wouldn't be tempted, I noticed this placed on top:
The Kite Runner
    
    I have heard lots of good things about this book. I have wanted to read it for a long time. I have only listened to 1 or 2 audio books before so I decided I'd try it on my way to and from work. I'm loving it. My only 2 regrets are: 1) I'd love to see the spellings of all the names, etc because the author pronounces all of them correctly and 2) sometimes I don't want to get out of my car because I want to know what will happen next.

Making:
     I've been editing lesson plans and working hard at school. I feel like I have been making some of my teaching more effective. So far this year has been very enjoyable.

Feeling:
     Busy, yet happy. We just started our church community group. Tim has practice once a week for football, plus a practice before the game. I'm playing in a concert band and then Matt and I serve in church. When you add homework, relationships and life on, things get busy.
Planning:
     One of my goals at school is to be an encourager. I am already okay at this, but I'd like to increase my efforts- to students, families and staff. So far so good I think. I'm jotting down some notes for my Thanksgiving project, and I should probably start cutting out leaves and doing the artwork.

Loving:
      Today is the first day that it is feeling more like autumn. I despise being hot and my classroom is like a sauna. I love the cool breeze on my face while still being able to feel sunshine too. I like snuggling up in a blanket at the end of the day or having a nice cup of cocoa or hot chocolate. I'm looking forward to the next few months.


     I plan to write about our fall goals later in the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment