Powered By Blogger

Friday, April 17, 2015

Currently

   I just wanted to update to let you know I haven't fallen off the face of the Earth. My "busy season" is officially over. I start April vacation tonight. I don't really have any plans but I hope to write some letters, catch up with some friends and get a ton of housework done. I'm behind on everything but work. I have pushed myself to exercise a few times this week so I guess that's a success. I always see the "currently" lists that people post so I thought I'd jump on the bandwagon. Here's what's was going on this week.

Currently

Watching:

Image result for images home movie 

     David really wanted to see this for his birthday. So, here we are almost a month later. We went out for a Mommy Date tonight and watched it. The beginning was slow but it was cute. It was good for young kids trying to figure out feelings. Tim said "I loved it" and David said "I just loved all of it."  There was one part in the movie where a 3 year old sitting a few seats down from me was worried about a character and she began weeping passionately because she thought something bad was going to happen. I was sure her mom would reach out and try to console her but she just let the girl sob. It was heartbreaking. I don't know if I've ever seen such an empathetic kid. I was moved by this little girl.

Reading:
"Tchaikovsky" by Herbert Weinstock. I started reading this a long time ago and didn't finish it. I just recently picked it up again. Tchaikovsky was a pretty odd guy. I was just reading about his relationship with his patroness Nadezhda von Meck. Both Tchaikovsky and von Meck seem to be avid letter writers. There are over 500 surviving letters between the 2 of them. A really strange fact is that, even though they wrote very often and von Meck was an unwavering source of financial (and emotional?) support for Tchaikovsky, they never actually met in person.  
     This book is a little slow but I'm learning some things. I'm thinking I'll finish it by May.

Listening:
   Anything by Gondwana Choirs- Gondwana Voices, Singers, etc.. I'm becoming obsessed with this group.
     "Lost Boy" by Ruth B. A student recommended it and it's stuck in my head. 
     This exact moment I have Pandora streaming spa music in hopes that it will make the boys fall asleep. (Honestly)  It is playing Radio Ballet by Eluvium at this second.

Making:
    Nothing? Actually, I plan on making a to do list before I snuggle into bed with a book.

Feeling:
     This week has been a draining week. Here are the highlights:
     In pain- I did something to the inside of my left foot. (Remember the skipping incident months back? I think this has some connection) It hurt so badly yesterday.  It just feels really tight today.  
     Disappointed- I had a really bad rehearsal with my own choir boys. Most of the guys worked hard but some of the 5th graders were just silly and disrespectful. We had a personal chat today where I gave them a little tough love. I am pretty sure most of them got the fact that I really enjoy having them sing for me but I expect to be treated like they are a group of gentleman.
     Proud- I confessed to my female students that the young men didn't do so well so I would really appreciate it if they worked hard at their rehearsal. They did and we had a fantastic time. I was really proud of their hard work and grateful that they really put a lot of effort in.
     Relieved- It's finally April vacation. I just need 1 day to recharge on my own and I'll be good to go for the rest of the year. 
     Grateful- for my health. I have so many friends who I'm praying for that are going through a multitude of horrendous health issues. If you're reading, I love you and am continuing to pray!  

Planning:
     I'm planning what's going to happen for the week. I'm going to have a list of things I want to get done. I'm also going to have a second list of things that I should get done but will not put a ton of guilt on me if I don't. 
     I'm planning on spending some time exercising and writing. Did I mention that one of my 8th grade boys has run over 100 miles this school year? This doesn't seem huge when you look at it from September, but if you look at the days where snow made outside exercise pretty much impossible, I'm impressed. He has inspired me to try to walk at least 100 miles before the end of the school year. It has been a good time to spend time with God too. (I'm hoping the foot injury doesn't ruin my plan. I didn't tell the boy so you guys can help me stay accountable.)

Loving:
  Did I mention it's April vacation?Matt also made a really yummy buffalo chicken calzone for dinner. Oh, and I just got the cookbook I won from Goodreads. It's beautiful. I'll show it in my next mail post. 

     Ok. That's enough for tonight. I'm waiting on 2 students to finish their thoughts for Districts and then I'll put that info up. I see a lot of people have read those posts. Thanks!




No comments:

Post a Comment