Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Let's try this again, just slightly different- 2013

    Goodbye 2012 and hello 2013!  Happy New Year to all! My letter project in 2013 was a minor failure, mostly due to the fact that I have been really bad about responding in a timely manner. On a good note, I have discovered that I have an issue balancing work, family, responsibilities and personal life. This sounds negative at first but I have discovered:
1) I really value all of my friendships that have been developed through penpalling.
2) I get extremely guilty when I haven't written someone back within a week. (Then I feel bad and don't want to write to anyone, which just adds to the issue).
3) I send lots of mail- letters, postcards, swaps, etc.
4) Writing has become a major source of relaxation and enjoyment for me. Sitting and writing to connect with another person- whether it is someone who lives 5 minutes away or 5,000 miles away- feels similar to going out to lunch to catch up with a friend. I'm a pretty social person so I enjoy being around people but I've realized that I don't like shallow relationships. If I'm going to sit to write a letter or visit with a friend in person, I want to make sure that it is quality time and that I'm investing in that person. So, this is the only solace I have given myself in regards to why I haven't been caught up with my writing- that I want to actually give the person my time. (Any of you who have read my letters also know that I have an issue with not having any free time, no matter how hard I try to plan some.)  With this being said, if there are any people who have been secretly annoyed that I don't respond as quickly as I want to and you want to stop being my penpal, please e-mail me here and I will understand. I hope there aren't any but I figured I'd put myself out there just in case. I'm still struggling with how to fit everything in my day that needs to be done, as well as the things I want to get done.

So, here are my "blog resolutions."
1) I will try again for the "366" numbers of incoming and outgoing mail BUT I'm going to count letters, postcards and packages- both outgoing and incoming.
2) I will update the blog at least once per week. I haven't decided which day yet... probably closer to the end of the week since I have lots of due dates and meetings at the beginning of the week usually.
3) I will try to document all incoming and outgoing mail with pictures.

Thanks to everybody who reads this blog and to all of the great friends I've made this year. Here's to a really happy mailbox for all of us in 2013!

    

1 comment: